Wednesday, February 3, 2010

More ideas about my context

I'm still unsure of the exact context I'm planning for my IDE632 project, but I'm still stuck in the general realm of secondary ed/ELA. This may not be a bad thing, since I've got familiarity with the context. This may be a bad thing, since I've got familiarity with the context. I always wonder how much personal bias steps in and prevents me from seeing the forest for the trees.

Should I continue on this path, my professional context would be working with the English/Language Arts curriculum in a 10-12 school in PA (i.e. where I used to teach). The system itself are the courses required of all 1100+ students in the school, and serviced by about 15 ELA teachers. This department is part of the suprasystems of the school itself and the district. (There is only one high school in the district for grades 10-12; grade 9 is at a separate building from junior high, grades 7 and 8.) The subsystems can be separated by grades (10, 11, 12) or by courses offered (e.g., 10th grade English, 12th grade AP English Lit). Two information channels that exist are those between ELA teachers, and also with the school's literacy coach/coordinator. The literacy coach is involved with ensuring that the reading portion of an intervention program is implemented as designed. A subsystem interface would be the department chair, who interacts with both administration and the administrators/teachers involved in overseeing the intervention program. The department chair then disseminates information back to the rest of the ELA department.

No comments: